5 Beginner-Approved Easy-To-Grow Vegetables You Should Have In Your Garden
There is nothing more fulfilling than being able to get your fresh produce right from your backyard. Whether you are planning to nurture a single plant or aiming to start a mini vegetable farm, you will reap a number of health, environmental, and economic benefits from growing your own food!
Are you a new plant parent? Worry not! Let us be your guide as we show you not only the beginner-approved must-haves for your garden but also outdoor & garden essentials you’re going to need!
Check out these 5 easy-to-grow vegetables:
Kangkong is a vegetable that most Filipino families consume, and for a good reason. It's not just used to complete an enjoyable meal. It is also deliciously nutritious! This plant is one of the easy-to-grow vegetables you can work on, as it grows well in both wet and dry places. You can expect it to mature 30-40 days after sowing.
- Kangkong is a fast-growing herb with succulent hollow stems. It is ideal to plant and grow one from low to mid-elevations throughout the year.
- Use in sandy to clay loam soil with a pH of 5.5-6.5.
Do you want to have something unconventional in your home garden? Then you should add mustard! While growing this spicy green is not common, it is still one of the beginner-approved vegetables you can grow on your own.
You can grow it on most soil types as it is versatile, although you might want to make sure it stays in well-drained loamy soils with pH of 5.5 – 7 for the best outcome. Mustard plants mature 30 – 45 days after sowing.
- Mustard plants need little care. It is best to give the plant plenty of sun or partial shade, and fertilize with a balanced fertilizer, not unless it is already in a well-amended vegetable garden soil.
- Plants thrive well with temperatures ranging from 20 – 25°C.
- This is best transplanted.
Do you fancy at-home Samgyup sessions with the family? Then you better start planting this nutritious and delicious salad green in your backyard! Lettuce can be harvested once the outer leaves reach about 6 inches. Once you cut it, new leaves will form.
- Remember to water your plant everyday (don't use too much water) especially since it's hot and dry in the Philippines.
Given that we are living in a tropical country, you need to maximize what you can get out of it and start growing your Okra, or Ladies Finger!
Growing this plant is easy. It is ideal for almost any soil condition and also thrives in heat. Gardeners would even appreciate the beautiful flowers that mature into edible pods.
- This plant thrives on heat, so make sure to give it sunlight for it to grow well.
- If you plan to harvest okra (young okra is recommended), make sure to cut it to its base.
Eggplant can be found in almost any dishes that Filipino families cook. There are also many supplies in the market, given that it is one of the easy-to-grow vegetables around.
If you want a small home garden, then you've got to have this! Eggplant can easily be grown any time of the year in areas with good irrigation and drainage. It's also best to grow it in clay loam soil, and would often matrue 60 - 75 days after sowing.
- Eggplants thrive well with temperature ranges from 24 - 32°C.
- To harvest a ripe eggplant (it should be purple or violet), cut it on its base and leave it one to two inches long.
Plant Parent Must-Haves:
You can't nurture your easy-to-grow vegetables without the right materials! If you want to complete your lawn & gardening essentials, you might as well check out these products:
Soil-Less Seed Raise Mix: Take, for example, the Ramgo Soil-Less Seed Raise Mix. This ensures that your plant will be free of pests, diseases, and other contaminants, as it contains compost, along with fertilizer. It is also lighter in weight than garden soil so you'd exert less effort when moving containers or shaped pots.
Seedling Tray: Get a seedling tray that can hold multiple seeds. This will be useful for when your seedlings are starting from the germination stage, until they are ready for transplantation. The tray also helps ensure better nutrient availability for each seed!
What are you waiting for? Unleash your green thumb and grow your nutritious and tasty vegetables right from your backyard! For a more convenient shopping experience, you may place your orders online here at Handyman by GoRobinsons.